CORONADO, CA. – Consistently ranked one of the top beaches in the United States, the vast stretch of white sand fronting Hotel del Coronado and Beach Village at The Del has lured visitors to San Diego since before the turn of the century. Known for its wide flat sandy expanse and relatively calm waters, this beloved beach becomes even more irresistible May 1 when the resort unveils Del Beach, a luxurious new waterfront set-up featuring plush daybeds and half-moon cabanas, as well as a plethora of recreational activities for adults and youngsters alike.
The new programs and activities – including a lively beach playground for kids and boogie board, surfboard, stand-up paddle and kayak rentals – is the first West Coast operation to be managed by Boucher Brothers, a Miami-based hospitality management company charged with setting up and managing the beach daily from sunrise to sunset.
Adding a sophisticated new dimension to the picture postcard backdrop are new furnishings, beach towels and other accoutrements – in a crisp white and striped burgundy. Guests and locals alike can rent:
• Chaise lounges complete with cushions and terry covers
• Expansive fringed sun umbrellas
• Half-moon cabanas for two with sun shade
• Plush daybeds
Furthering its beachfront appeal, the resort will offer food and beverage service – complete with salads, sandwiches, mai tais and margaritas – on the sand.
More activities for both spring and summer include:
• An interactive kids’ play area on the beach – set up daily with a wooden boat and kids’ toys.
• The DelVenture program for younger guests (ages four to 12) starts at check-in, where youngsters receive a DelVenture explorer pack with a treasure map and all the tools necessary for an exciting adventure. Clues guide kids to golden crowns hidden throughout the resort ultimately revealing their final destination where a sweet treasure awaits.
• Kidtopia, a retreat for kids ages four to 12 is a lively colorful hub with underwater murals and separate beach-themed rooms for crafts and playtime –as well as a crazy funhouse mirror and movie-time media. The facility offers three-hour camps plus shorter programs with entertaining, interactive crafts and activities.
• Nightly family s’mores is where families can enjoy a crackling fire pit under the stars with toes in the sand nibbling on the classic combination of marshmallows, graham crackers and chocolate. All equipment is provided.
• Dive-in movies. Guests can plunge into the main pool and watch movies with the family every Tuesday evening throughout the summer.
• An array of beachfront recreational options: boating, bike rentals, surfing, yoga on the beach and much more.
And for more family fun: the New Blue Dolphin and Blue Octopus suites for families feature a newly renovated master king bedroom and sitting parlor – along with an ocean-inspired kids’ bedroom, ocean-blue carpet, linens and playful artwork as well as bean bag chairs, bunk beds, a Wii or X-Box system and a treasure chest filed with toys.
A Beachfront Legacy
The shimmering 1.5 mile-long Coronado beach – flecks of the glittery mica mineral make the sand literally glisten in the sunlight – has long been a Mecca for those in search of health, recreation and relaxation.
According to the resort’s historian Christine Donovan, when the now legendary hotel opened in 1888, its spectacular seaside location attracted guests from all over the world. “Even then vacationers understood that saltwater and sea air are inherently healthy, and believed that ocean retreats could restore mind, body and soul – so nineteenth century travelers gravitated toward oceanside locales or interior areas that offered natural springs,” she said.
After more than 126 years, the resort’s soothing oceanfront setting is more appealing – and rejuvenating – than ever.
Where: Hotel del Coronado & Beach Village at The Del
1500 Orange Avenue
Coronado, CA 92118
About Hotel del Coronado and Beach Village at The Del
The legendary Hotel del Coronado is located on 28 oceanfront acres on Coronado Island. Built in 1888 and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1977, Hotel del Coronado is an American treasure with over 126 years of stories to tell. Rated one of the top 10 hotels in the world by USA Today, The Del continues to maintain its rich history while also offering contemporary conveniences such as unique beachfront dining experiences, an award-winning spa, upscale shopping, a variety of recreational activities and the luxurious cottages and villas at Beach Village at The Del.