March 19th, 1887 — Groundbreaking Ceremony
Although digging the foundation had begun in January 1887, construction on The Del did not begin until after the groundbreaking ceremony. Visitors turned out in droves to watch. The architects hired were the Reid Brothers of Evansville, Indiana. Construction began along the northern face, which was simpler in design, in the hopes that the mostly inexperienced workforce would gain skills for building the more complicated sections.