Coronation Window

History

The Woman in the Window

1888

Hotel del Coronado’s most prominent stained-glass window – located on the front façade – garners a great deal of attention from visitors. Original to the hotel, the window was first mounted in the massive lobby chimney, visible from the front exterior as well as the lobby interior. After the fireplace was removed in the 1920s, the famous stained glass was displayed in a variety of interior locations. In 1995, it was moved to the fourth floor exterior, above the lobby entrance. In 2020, the piece was carefully removed for a complete restoration and will be returned to its original second-story location by summer 2021. Architect James Reid described the stained-glass scene as an “allegorical representation of Coronado” with a landscape background “representing mountains, valleys and a bay.”

Reserve Now