Hotel Construction

Back to History

Construction of the hotel c. May 1887

May 1887 — Hotel Construction

By May 1887, approximately 250 men were employed in the construction of the hotel, and The San Diego Union reported: “A million feet of lumber is scattered about the yard, and more is coming all the time.” The all-wooden Hotel del Coronado used a variety of lumber: Douglas fir for framing and California redwood for exterior siding (it was thought to be termite resistant); hemlock and cedar were also on order. The lobby featured Illinois white oak, and the Crown Room ceiling would be done in Oregon sugar pine, chosen for its lack of knotholes.