1983 — The Oxford
Moved to Hotel del Coronado property in 1983 and restored in 1987, this 1887 building was actually Coronado’s first hotel (and one of the island’s first structures). A welcomed addition to the fledgling community, it housed VIPs working on The Del’s construction, including architects James and Watson Reid. With 90 guestrooms and an excellent dinner service (so popular that the San Francisco-imported chef was forced to serve three shifts), the building also functioned as the town’s unofficial post office and contained a drugstore and barbershop. Despite its popularity, with the opening of “the big hotel,” the Oxford was put out of business. Afterward, the building was relocated and re-purposed many times, including a 50-year stint as a Del employee dormitory. Today, the Oxford Building contains private offices for hotel employees.