Iconic Hotel del Coronado Set to Dazzle with 1920s Art-Deco-Inspired Glamor and Decor, Festive Programming and Culinary Delights for 2023 Holiday Season
SAN DIEGO (Nov. 1, 2023) – The legendary Hotel del Coronado, part of Curio Collection by Hilton, announced its annual holiday theme: “A Twenties Holiday Affair.” This season, The Del will celebrate the holidays in style, reflecting back 100 years to the glittering art-deco era of the 1920s. The Del will dazzle with breathtaking lights and festive décor in emerald green, shimmering silver and gold, delicate pearls, and velvet. The season will welcome the return of the famed two-story Christmas tree in the lobby, and holiday experience favorites including Skating by the Sea®, Frostbite Lounge, special holiday dining, redesigned “All That Jazz” Dynamic Light Show, Beachside Igloos, and more. The Del will also partner once again with Make-A-Wish®, donating a portion of proceeds from the Skating by the Sea to Make-A-Wish San Diego.
Hotel del Coronado has become a world-wide holiday destination, beckoning with unique, world-class holiday experiences that have earned The Del its storied reputation as a one-of-a-kind destination. The celebrations will kick off on November 17, 2023 and last through the first week of January. Those looking to stay overnight can enjoy the newly-renovated Beach Village at The Del and the newest neighborhood Shore House at The Del, perfect for multi-generational families or groups. The following activities, food and beverage offerings, celebratory events and packages will be available throughout the 2023 holiday season:
- Fire & Ice Package (Nov. 17-Jan. 1) – Enjoy the holiday season “A Twenties Affair” with an overnight package including accommodations, four Skating by the Sea passes, a private beach Roast with s’mores, overnight valet parking and your own Holiday Concierge to help create a magical vacation with priority access to The Del’s most popular experiences.
- Skating by the Sea (Nov. 17-Jan. 7) – California’s most recognizable and scenic ice rink welcomes skaters of all ages with an incomparable backdrop of the stunning Pacific Ocean and The Del’s iconic Victorian architecture on the hotel’s Windsor Lawn. A portion of the Skating by the Sea proceeds will once again benefit Make-A-Wish San Diego. Tickets are $40 per person for general admission and $35 per person for hotel guests, members, military and first responders; each Skating by the Sea session is 90 minutes.
- Frostbite – A Place to Chill (Nov. 17-Jan. 7) – Frostbite offers the best seat in the house. Cozy fire pits and luxury lounges trim the ice rink on an elevated platform where guests can relax with spectacular skating and sunset views while sipping holiday drinks and nibbling gourmet bites. Or sit on the oceanside lawn for spectacular ocean views and the spectacle of lights, laughter and holiday fun. Each individual lounge area seats between 4-10 people and may be reserved for 90 minutes with a required food and beverage minimum.
- Beachside Igloos (Nov. 17-Jan. 7) – Expanded for 2023, guests and locals can enjoy a unique Beachside Igloo featuring a cozy living room that comfortably accommodates up to eight guests. The experience also includes a roaring fire pit, unlimited s’mores supplies, and a dedicated server ready to deliver holiday-themed libations and snacks, plus two Hotel del Coronado blankets. Pricing ranges from $250 – $400 with a food & beverage minimum. Beachside Igloos can be reserved for two hours.
- “All That Jazz” Lightshow Spectacular (Nov. 17-Jan. 7) – Redesigned for 2023 with a new 1920s jazz soundtrack, the grove of towering Norfolk Island Pines on the Founders Lawn is the scene of a dynamic light show orchestrated to music. This year’s show features more lights, more snow and a brand-new bar and lounge set in a 12-foot replica of the hotel’s signature red turret, serving festive cocktails and cocoa, with bottle service at lounges that each seat up to five people. The complimentary show will take place every 30 minutes from 5-9 p.m. nightly, and is a brilliant and ethereal experience that will captivate guests of all ages with a finale of snow flurries.
- Thanksgiving Dinner (Nov. 23) – Give thanks and celebrate with family and friends at an exquisite Thanksgiving dinner set in the beautiful new Southpointe Ballroom, located on the south end of the resort. The elegant buffet will be a lavish feast with all of the trimmings, and live musical entertainment.
- Holiday Movies on the Beach (Select Dates, Dec. 9 – 31) – Snuggle up at this theater under the stars with a selection of holiday family classics including “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” “Home Alone” and more. Guests can upgrade their experience to include a private bonfire with s’mores and plush daybed for six people. Reservations are required. General admission is $25 with the Roast Family Package available for $300.
- Jingle Roast (Weekends from Nov. 17-Dec. 10 / Daily from Dec. 15-25) – Private roasts at The Del are a longstanding tradition, but come December, the roast experience gets a sprinkle of holiday magic as guests are given their own Santa hat to snuggle around the fire and roast holiday-themed s’mores. Reservations are required, with one pit accommodating up to 10 guests.
- Holiday Festival (Dec. 6) – Join The Del for its annual community Holiday Festival. Festivities include Skating by the Sea®, photos with St. Nick, and performances by Coronado school children. This year will also include the return of “Skydiving Santa” parachuting in to join the festivities – and a fireworks show – a high-flying start to the holiday season.
- Photos with Santa (Select Dates, Dec. 6-24) – Guests of all ages can capture a classic photo with Old St. Nick and receive a professionally printed image.
- Elf Deliveries (Select Dates, Dec. 8-24) – To get children in the holiday spirit, Santa’s elves deliver personalized themed bags to guest rooms filled with festive goodies, a stuffed animal and a book signed by Santa.
- Gingerbread Houses (Select Dates, Dec. 16-24) – Decorate festive Gingerbread Houses to get in the holiday spirit. A candy bar full of festive decorations and holiday treats makes for the perfect sugary accessories to assemble the gingerbread house of any child’s wildest dreams.
- Christmas Eve Dinner (Dec. 24) – Celebrate Christmas Eve in the spectacular Southpointe Ballroom with a lavish festive spread, full of traditional favorites and culinary delights. With Skating by the Sea®, Frostbite and photos with Santa to match, Christmas Eve at The Del is the ultimate destination to get in the holiday spirit.
- Christmas Day Brunch (Dec. 25): Merry Christmas, from the Hotel del Coronado family to yours. The Del welcomes guests to feast with loved ones in the new Southpointe Ballroom, featuring a beautiful display of sparkling holiday lights adorning the vaulted ceiling. A festive spread full of traditional favorites and sweet treats awaits.
- Holiday Gatherings (Select dates; Communal Parties on Dec. 1 & 15): Treat your team to a beachfront holiday party. From hosting a holiday beach bonfire with s’mores, to planning a private Holiday Movie on the Beach, hosting a dinner party at one of the beachfront restaurants or throwing a holiday gala in one of the larger venues, The Del has the perfect holiday party for groups. For smaller groups, The Del will also be hosting special communal parties on December 1 and 15 with dinner, drinks, live music, entertainment and a group photo opportunity.
- New Year’s Eve Movie on the Beach (Dec. 31): This New Year’s Eve, families can enjoy a special showing of Top Gun: Maverick on the beach.
- Smokehouse Rockin’ New Year’s Eve (Dec. 31-Jan. 1): Rock in the new year with an unforgettable night of music, merriment, and memories to last a lifetime. The Del’s newest restaurant, Smokehouse & Bar at the Historic Landry, will be celebrating with a live band playing rock ‘n’ roll and blues, a full open bar, tray-passed bites and a decadent dessert bar. The event is for guests 21+ and costs $150 per person.
All holiday events are by reservation only and must be prepaid to confirm. Please visit hoteldel.com or call 619-522-8100 to book. Additional information about Hotel del Coronado’s 2023 holiday programming can be found at hoteldel.com/holidays.
Hotel del Coronado holiday images can be found here.
About Hotel del Coronado
Set on one of America’s most iconic beaches, the legendary Hotel del Coronado and Beach Village at The Del have welcomed discerning travelers for more than 135 years to experience the Southern California coastal lifestyle at its best. Here, the magic and nostalgia of the property’s storied past blends seamlessly with contemporary luxury in overnight and day experiences that offer every amenity imaginable. Hotel del Coronado offers five distinct neighborhood experiences, including Shore House at The Del, the hotel’s new residential-style villas, which complement the luxurious Beach Village; The Cabanas, where refined coastal design complements the newly refreshed pool, serving as the social center of the hotel; The Views, the hotel’s home-base for coastal adventure experiences and activities; and The Victorian building, which will re-emerge in Spring 2025. For more information please visit hoteldel.com.
About Curio Collection by Hilton
Curio Collection by Hilton is a global portfolio of more than 140 individually remarkable hotels hand-picked to immerse guests in one-of-a kind moments in the world’s most sought-after destinations. Each hotel in the Curio Collection evokes a bespoke story through distinctive architecture and design, world-class food & beverage and curated experiences, while providing the benefits of Hilton and its award-winning guest loyalty program Hilton Honors. Experience Curio Collection by Hilton by booking at curiocollection.com or through the industry-leading Hilton Honors app. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits. Learn more about Curio Collection by Hilton at stories.hilton.com/curio, and follow the brand on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.