Legendary beachfront resort announces multi-phase renovation
Coronado, Calif. (May 2019) – Construction has commenced on a new vision of San Diego’s world-renowned seaside resort, Hotel del Coronado. With approvals from the City of Coronado and the California Coastal Commission, The Del has begun implementation of the Master Plan, a roadmap of “The Del’s future,” which includes a phased development to preserve, revitalize and produce new aspects of the property that is slated to be complete late 2021.
“We have a lot in store for Hotel del Coronado,” said General Manager Harold Rapoza Jr. “In 2018 The Del celebrated its 130th anniversary. Now we have the privilege of ushering in this next chapter, in which we rejuvenate The Del’s timeless story with restorations and the addition of new, unprecedented experiences that will create memories for generations to come.”
Key elements of Hotel del Coronado’s $200 million reimagination include:
- ARRIVAL – Hotel del Coronado is restoring its bygone sense of arrival with a new landscaped entry featuring a grand view of the iconic red turret. The lush driveway will harken back to the Victorian era with a new front façade inspired by the property’s original front porch and wide veranda featuring two sets of entry stairs.
- MEETINGS – A new Conference Center will be constructed on the south side of the resort, which will accommodate events of up to 800-1,000 guests. The state-of-the-art facility will feature a 15,000 square foot clear-span ballroom with approximately 10,000 square feet of pre-function and break-out meeting space. The venue will open onto a 14,000 square foot Great Lawn with views of the Victorian building and include a loading dock and kitchen.
- ACCOMMODATIONS – 142 new guestrooms, bringing the property room count to 898, will be developed adjacent to the Conference Center on the south side of the resort, with an array of ocean, bay and pool courtyard views. These new rooms are being crafted with families and groups in mind, featuring flexibility of adjoining suite options, fully-equipped kitchens with premier appliances and indoor-outdoor gathering spaces with a fire feature. The suites will be developed as whole-ownership, limited term use condominiums, presenting the final opportunity to own resort real estate at the iconic property. Additional enhancements are being made to the existing 97 California Cabana guestrooms, including a design upgrade and the addition of outdoor fire pits, chaises and cabanas.
- DINING – Hotel del Coronado’s culinary outlets are being revitalized as well with the addition of the new Clique Hospitality concept Serẽa, opening summer 2019. Serẽa will offer a robust, Mediterranean inspired menu that showcases the best sustainable seafood and heritage meats the region has to offer, prepared by San Diego native and Clique Hospitality Executive Chef and Partner, JoJo Ruiz. The indoor/outdoor bar will serve as the restaurant’s see-and-be-seen focal point and will spotlight specialty cocktails, local brews and a well-curated, eclectic wine list, making it the perfect place to celebrate the seaside beauty of San Diego. The property’s scenic Sun Deck will feature stunning views and a new 360-degree bar and full kitchen for an elevated poolside experience. A new main pool will feature cabanas and daybeds, with stadium-style seating connecting the pool to the Sundeck.
- PRESERVATION – In addition to the restoration of Hotel del Coronado’s original front porch, the multi-phase development will include the preservation of buildings that date back to the late 1800s and early 1900s including the Power Plant (that once provided power to the entire island of Coronado), Laundry Building, Oxford Building and Ice House. The Ice House will be renovated for use as a history gallery, a space available for guests and visitors to learn more about The Del’s unique and fascinating history.
- OUTDOOR EVENT VENUES – The Del’s Vista Walk event venue will be elevated and expanded into one level, while preserving the legendary Dragon Tree, to offer panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean and the iconic red-roofed turret. The outdoor space will host up to 900 guests.
- PARKING – The majority of the parking will be located underground, with two new underground parking structures, one below the Conference Center and one on the north side of the property near Beach Village, totaling 1,179 parking spaces at Hotel del Coronado and Beach Village at The Del.
The first phase of The Del’s re-imagination is currently in progress and includes the development of the north underground parking structures, and restoration of the industrial buildings, as well as the Vista Walk and debut of Serẽa. Portions of Phase One are slated to be complete in summer 2019, with the remainder complete in late 2019. Next to come are the California Cabanas room renovations along with the main pool and Sundeck, scheduled to be completed in summer 2020. Phase Two will bring redesign of the main entrance with signalized intersection and improved traffic flow, and restoration of the original entry façade, along with construction of the Conference Center with its adjoining Great Lawn and below grade parking; 142 new guest rooms and street improvements including new landscaped sidewalks around the property and enhanced beachfront walkway connections. Estimated completion of all property enhancements is late 2021.
About Hotel del Coronado
Set on one of America’s most iconic beaches, the legendary Hotel del Coronado has welcomed discerning travelers for more than 130 years to experience Southern California coastal lifestyle at its best. Here, the magic and nostalgia of the property’s storied past blends seamlessly with contemporary luxury in 757 guestrooms. Hotel del Coronado and its newest addition, Beach Village at The Del, have every modern amenity imaginable from bespoke concierge services and holistic spa experiences to private chefs and exquisite oceanfront dining. Known for creating memories and engaging experiences with endless recreational seaside activities, an award-winning spa, and oceanfront dining, this world-renowned San Diego resort seamlessly connects her storied past with today’s Southern California coastal lifestyle.